Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A Little About Love

Yesterday -- or maybe the day before -- I don't remember, let me start over. OK. One night Mom went to bed early; I could tell she was sad, even though she kissed me good night like always and told me what a good dog I am. I usually go to bed on the couch when she does, then later I sneak into her room and sleep at the foot of her bed, just in case she needs me. The morning after she went to bed sad, I jumped up when she got up and when she came around the bed I wagged my tail and swung my head at her, and when she bent down to pet me I licked her face and hands and rubbed my head and neck all over her while I wagged my tail. She had a big smile when we went to the kitchen for breakfast.

Sometimes humans say that dogs are best friends. Here's a secret: we love you. If you are sad or lonely, find a dog. Dogs love you more than any human can, because we don't want anything from you. Sure, we like cookies and food and naps, but if you don't give us treats we love you anyway. We don't care if you think you're fat or if your hair sticks out. We don't care what your clothes look like or if you took a bath today (sometimes we like it better if you didn't, but that'a different secret). All we want is to be with you as much as we can. If you have to be gone, that's OK, we'll wait. We'll wait as long as it takes. And we are SO happy when you come back! We're happier than any human could be, except maybe a baby, but babies want more things and need a lot more (we'd help more with them but you need thumbs to change diapers. Leave the diaper off and we'd clean up!)

When I was really really little, Mom said that she loved me, and that she would never ever leave me alone. She might have to be gone a few days, and I'd go to camp (I LOVE dog camp! But that's another story), but she'd always come and get me, and she always does. Sometimes when she looks sad I push my face at her to remind her of her promise, and she sees how much I love her and she's happy again. It's easy to love humans because most of them are good, especially when they have dogs, and they take care of bad humans the same way that a wolf pack takes care of a bad wolf. Only with less teeth showing. Even when Mom takes a chew bone away or yells at me, I love her. Even when she's not here I love her.

So humans, remember: dogs love you. We really do.

No comments:

Post a Comment